What is the official profile photo or ID photo?
It is a photograph that is used for identification purposes, such as on a driver’s license or passport. It is typically taken against a plain background and is standardized in terms of size, composition, and other factors. ID photos are used to verify the identity of the person.
What kind of ID photos are available?
Some common types of ID photos include passport photos, driver’s license photos, and ID photos for school or work. Other types of ID photos may be required for specific purposes, such as for visas, immigration documents, or other official purposes.
Is there a different size between the ID photos of different countries?
Yes. Although there are some common standards, but there are also many different details required by different countries.
Indian Passport / Visa Photo Requirements and Size (पासपोर्ट / वीज़ा फोटो आवश्यकताएँ और आकार) :
- The photograph should be in colour and of the size of 2 inch x 2 inch (51 mm x 51 mm).
- The photo‐print should be clear and with a continuous‐tone quality.
- It should have full face, front view, eyes open.
- Photo should present full head from top of hair to bottom of chin.
- Center head within frame.
- The background should be a plain white or off‐white.
- There should not be any distracting shadows on the face or on the background.
- Head coverings are not permitted except for religious reasons, but the facial
- features from bottom of chin to top of forehead and both edges of the face must be
- clearly shown.
- The expression on the face should look natural
The U.S. Department of State has specific requirements for photos. According to the State Department, photos must be:
- The photographs must not be older than six months
- The photographs must measure 2×2″ (5×5 cm)
- The photographs of the applicant’s head must be between 1″ to 1 3/8″ (2.5 to 3.5 cm) when measured vertically
- The photographs must have a white background
- Must face the camera directly, with both ears visible
Brazil passport/visa photo requirements (Fotocopiadora de passaporte/visita) :
- Size: 2×2 inches.
- Color: Color only. No filters or black and white.
- Head size and position: The head should be between 1-1 3/8 inches of the entire photo. Head should be centered.
- Recency: No older than 6 months.
- Background: White only. No colors and no prints.
- Smile: NONE. Neutral expression only.
- Eyes: Open and starring straight at camera.
- Glasses: NONE.
- Headgear: Religious purposes only.
- Dimensions and size (pixels): None specified.
- Attire, clothing, dress code: Clothing cannot match background.
- Beard: Optional.
- Quantity needed in application: 2
Japan Passport / Visa Photo Requirements and Size (パスポート／ビザ用フォトメーカー) :
- Size: 35mm x 45mm (width x height) OR U.S. photo size (2in x 2in).
The area from the top of the head to the chin must be no less than 32 mm, and no more than 36 mm high.
- Should be facing forward with a plain background
- No hats, masks, or sunglasses
- School photographs may not be accepted
- Best if taken at a photo studio (poor quality digital photo may not be accepted)
- For example, click here (Japanese)
For more countries’ requirements, please read this article”Passport Photo Requirements For Various Countries Across The Globe”
The way to make ID photos:
1.Find a professional photo studio that offers ID photo services: You can search online or locally to find a studio that meets your needs and requirements. Going to a professional photo studio for ID photos can be a convenient and effective way to do this – the photo studio staff will be familiar with the specific requirements for ID photos and will have the equipment and expertise to produce high quality photos that meet those requirements.
2.Automated machines for taking photos are kiosks or vending machines designed to take photos quickly and easily. Often found in busy areas such as airports, subways or shopping malls, these machines are designed to provide a convenient way for people to obtain photos without having to go to a professional photo studio. The machines use digital cameras and automated software to take and process the photos, and can print out the finished photos on the spot.
3.Some print stores and supermarket chains can also produce , such as DM, Rossmann…
4.At home: With a digital camera or smartphone and some basic photo editing software, you can take a passport photo at home. This can be a convenient option, but it is important to carefully follow the specific requirements to ensure that the photo meets the necessary standards.
How to make a passport photo with just one computer?
You can either take a photo with your camera/phone or use a clear-faced half-body photo and transfer it to your computer. Open it in the photo editing software cutout.pro or mobile app, use it to crop the image to the correct size and dimensions and adjust the brightness and contrast as needed to ensure the photo is clear and fits the requirements.
The final step:
Save the edited photo to your computer and print it out on high-quality photo paper for your passport photo.